Implementation period: June 2019 – March 2020
Deadline for submitting project bids to British Embassy: Friday 24 May 2019
British Embassy Programme Fund (BEF) supports programme activity in line with the UK government’s foreign policy objectives in Turkey during financial year (FY) 2019/20.
All projects submitted must directly support at least one of the following priorities of the British Embassy Programme Fund:
- freedom of expression and of the media
- inclusive governance, including diversity, youth engagement, democracy and human rights
- gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls
- peace and security, with a special focus on political dialogue and inclusive debate
Freedom of expression and of the media will be a key priority area for this year’s programme, however, proposals will be considered for all the above mentioned priorities.
The funding will be in the local currency (Turkish Lira – ₺). The BEF funds projects between 75.000 ₺ and 150.000 ₺.
The BEF project bids are shortlisted and approved by the British Embassy’s Post Programme Board. To apply for funding, interested organisations must submit a project proposal and activity based budget form (please see attached) to the Embassy’s Project Section. This will provide the basic information required to enable the Post Programme Board to make an assessment on whether or not the proposal will be short listed. All British Embassy Programme Fund projects must clearly demonstrate how they:
- support the above priorities
- deliver value for money (VfM)
- meet OECD criteria for Official Development Assistance (ODA) funding
- aim to complete 85% ODA spend before the end of December 2019
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- alignment with the above mentioned thematic priorities and outcomes
- outcomes are achievable within the funding period
- project design includes clear monitoring and evaluation procedures
- sustainability demonstrating that project benefits continue after the funding ends
- risk and financial accountability procedures
- the organisation’s safeguarding policies that ensure protection of beneficiaries
- overall value for money
- project proposals must be received by midnight on Friday 24th May. Late proposals will not be considered
- proposals must be submitted using the forms under this page (Project Proposal and Activity Based Budget)
- proposals must be submitted to BEF Mailbox (Bef.email@example.com)
- project proposals only selected for further consideration will be notified by the end of June 2019
- the British Embassy aims to sign grant agreements with successful project implementers by August 2019 the latest
Frequently asked questions
Managerial and financial aspects
- any organisation that has legal standing can apply for funding. We do not accept project bids submitted by individuals
- projects spanning two financial year are not permitted
- please note that the United Kingdom’s financial year runs from 1 April to 31 March
- please note that we cannot make pre-payments; the successful bidders should make the payment and then ask us to reimburse these expenses. The implementer should be able to receive money transfers from us
- organisations must prove that they are able to manage the project sum in a satisfactory manner; the Embassy may request reports by auditors
We regret that we are unable to fund:
- academic courses
- charitable activities
- commercial activities
- infrastructure or construction projects
- humanitarian aid
- a partnership framework to support the broader engagement of a project can strengthen your bid
- other sources of funding should be specified in the project bid
- British Embassy’s profile in the project must be guaranteed
Approval, contract and reporting
If the project is approved, the applicant will be given two copies of the contract, outlining the conditions of the grant. One signed copy must be returned to the British Embassy in Ankara.
The Embassy will require monthly financial reports and quarterly project progress reports from implementers.
The first payment will be made upon the receipt of monthly financial report.
When the project has been completed the implementer shall prepare and send a final report to the Embassy within the period specified in the contract.
Implementation time frame
Successful applicants should implement and complete all project activities by March 2020.
In line with ODA requirements, 85% of the funding allocated must be spent by mid-December for all projects.
Any final remaining payment requests should be finalised in the first week of March 2020. You are advised to plan project activities accordingly.
Please send bid forms by email to Bef.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project proposal forms should be sent by Friday 24 May 2019.
Only successful bidders will be contacted.
For details and application please click here